Many of us treat our cats like our children. We buy them special treats and always make sure they have plenty of toys to play with. What you may not know, however, is some of the treats you purchase for your cat can wreak havoc with their urinary system. Unfortunately, FLUTD or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease is one of the most common diseases a cat can have and it can be fatal.
FLUTD causes small stones to develop in the urinary tract. These small, sand-like stones can cause your cat to be in pain and in many male cats, can cause obstruction and a possible kidney failure. This, of course, can lead to your catâ€™s death. One factor that contributes most to this disease is feeding your cat foods that are high in magnesium and other minerals and the amount of acidity in the catâ€™s urine. If your cat does not urinate often, it may be a contributing factor, as well.
There are several things you can do to help prevent your cat from getting FLUTD. The following are some tips to help your catâ€™s urinary system stay healthy.
1. Purchase food for your cat that reduces magnesium in the catâ€™s urine. If you research the different foods available, youâ€™ll find there are several that contain pH-controlling acidifiers. This will help to lower the risk of FLUTD in your cat.
2. Supplement your catâ€™s dry food with wet food. Dry food produces more concentrated urine which can lead to stones. By supplementing your catâ€™s diet with wet, canned food, youâ€™ll help reduce the risk of urinary problems.
3. Fresh water is of the utmost importance in protecting your cat from disease. The more water your cat drinks, the less concentrated their urine will be.
4. Buy food that is from a reputable manufacturer. Unfortunately, youâ€™ll find many cheap brands of food on the market. Donâ€™t get fooled by the cheap stuff and only feed your cat the good food.
5. Provide your cat with a clean litter box at all times. If your catâ€™s litter box is not kept clean, he or she may not want to use it and theyâ€™ll hold their urine longer. This can lead to urinary tract problems.
Keep your cat healthy by researching different foods and make sure the treats you feed are low in magnesium and other minerals that can lead to FLUTD.
All articles copyright bigpawdesigns.com. Do not repost or copy without permission.
View more at www.bigpawdesigns.com